Sunday, September 1, 2013

Pink Rum Pink Rum

Ever see that movie The Shining? When the little kid says, "Redrum, Redrum!" Which is murder backwards. Well, my word is Pink Rum! Pink Rum!
I bought this Rum Punch bag. Dayum! Is it strong! Gah!

I have to cut it with Sunkist Diet lemonade pop. Makes me giggly. hehe

I know, the pic is horrible, but I'm not taking another. I have the fixin's for my cioppino ready!

I've decided to use some tarragon too. Vidalia onion, leek, homegrown tomatoes, basil, bay leaf and oregano. I have some chicken granules to enhance the broth. That store bought broth is the bomb but I want a more intense flavor for this so I will add a tablespoon or so. I also have some fresh flat leaf parsley that I need to go out and cut. Jeff bought a baguette and that's the stock pot I plan to make it in. I'm also going to use seasoned pepper. I love that Lawry's Seasoned Pepper and use it just about in everything I make now.
The seafood.

The onions. 1/2 large, chopped. 

Olive oil and butter. 2 tblsp each
 


Red pepper flakes and garlic..6 cloves and to taste.
 
 

Leeks and Lawry's Seasoned Pepper. Slice leek down middle. Wash and use 1/2. Diced. Generous sprinkle of seasoned pepper.
 


Chicken granules. 1 tblsp 
 3 allspice seeds

Crisp up.
 
 
One bay leaf. Continue to crisp.

Tarragon and basil already in pot. 1 tsp tarragon, 1 tblsp basil.
 In the hand is oregano. I rolled it between my palms as I added it.

Cheap ass wine!!

Tomatoes. That's just two of those itty bitty things!
 

Continue to brown.
 
 
Fresh parsley. I almost wanted to put in only at the last minute for the freshness but I felt this broth needed it to cook a bit and blend in.
 
Tomatoes and clams first. Cooked a bit. Then mussels. Cooked a bit. Tasted and it was slightly fishy. Added a box of beef stock. Also a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes. I know!! I had to counteract the fishiness though. Now I know why there is tomatoes in it. LOL The crushed tomatoes were perfect. It basically disappeared but thickened and added substance. It still wasn't all that tomatoey. I think I did good!

I also popped in a slightly dehydrated jalapeno pepper that I'd picked about 2 weeks ago and had tossed into the fridge. Then I added the shrimp, scallops and cod.

Add a pat of butter to an empty bowl. Add the broth and seafood. Viola!! 
 
 The fish in it was the best. Jeff liked the fish too.
 
Jeff said, "It's pretty good."   Snoopy dance!
 
 
Tomorrow I am making carnitas. Authentic pork carnitas. Rick Bayless made them on his show and they looked really good. No seasoning either, just salt. Intriguing!
 
 



Ingredients

4 pounds bone-in pork shoulder roast, cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch slabs
Salt

Directions

1.   Moist cooking.   Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut each slab of pork in half and lay the pieces in a baking dish (they should fit into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish without being crowded).  Liberally sprinkle with salt (about 1 teaspoon) on all sides.  Pour 1/3 cup water around the meat, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 1 hour.

2.   Dry cooking.   Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees.  Uncover the meat and cook until the liquid has completely reduced and only the rendered fat remains, about 30 minutes.  Now, roast, carefully turning the meat every 7 or 8 minutes, until lightly browned, about 20 minutes longer.  Break the meat into large pieces and serve on a warm platter, sprinkled with salt.
 

 
^^^^ That's from his website. Thanks Rick! I can do that! I am also making authentic El Salvadorian red beans. Thanks, Sharon (co-worker), for the recipe! I'm also going to tackle making my own tortillas. I have to go soak my beans!
 
Later: 1 lb small red beans are soaking in a bowl with 1 sliced onion, 1 tblsp onion powder, 1 tblsp garlic salt, 1 tblsp Mexican oregano and chicken granules. 
Sharon's recipe had onion salt (I used onion powder) and one chicken bouillon cube. I used granules to equal a cube. 

No comments:

Post a Comment