Saturday, September 14, 2013

Carnitas

I made two types of pork for the carnitas we had last week. I took half of the pork butt and sliced it into 6 inch by 3 inch by 2 inch thick pieces and placed on a baking pan. I salted and peppered the pieces, then put in some water. Here's the recipe I used. 
 
 4 LBS  bone-in pork shoulder roast, cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch slabs
Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut each slab of pork in half and lay the pieces in a baking dish (they should fit into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish without being crowded). Liberally sprinkle with salt (about 1 teaspoon) on all sides. Pour 1/3 cup water around the meat, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 1 hour.
Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees. Uncover the meat and cook until the liquid has completely reduced and only the rendered fat remains, about 30 minutes. Now, roast, carefully turning the meat every 7 or 8 minutes, until lightly browned, about 20 minutes longer. Break the meat into large pieces and serve on a warm platter, sprinkled with salt.
 
Rick Bayless also sells a carnita sauce. I used this on the other slab of pork and cooked it in the crockpot. 
 






To make the beans I used a friend's husband's recipe. He's from El Salvadore.

2 onions

6 cloves garlic

1 chicken bouillon cube

1 tbsp oregano

1 tbsp onion salt

1 tbsp garlic salt

Add beans to 6 cups of water. Add one onion (sliced), garlic cloves, chicken bouillon, oregano, garlic/onion salt.

Soak overnight or 10-12 hours

Put beans in pressure cooker or pot, add more water if necessary (water should be covering the beans)

Cover and cook on medium heat for 1-1/2 hours (continue to add water if necessary)

Sautee other onion with olive oil. Add to bean mixture

Blend beans in blender. (We have a hand blender and mix it right in the pan)

Put back on the stove and cook until just boiling.








 
Above is the crockpot pork with the store bought carnitas sauce. I also added a box of beef broth.

 
 
 
 
Above is the baked pork that I liked better. I shredded it. Also shredded the sauced pork.
 


 
I mashed the beans and then heated up some tortillas.
I liked the baked pork better but Jeff liked the sauce pork better.
We put some pork into a tortilla then topped it with beans, lettuce, homemade salsa, cheese, onions and green pepper. My first attempt at carnitas was a success!!

No comments:

Post a Comment