Sunday, August 4, 2013

Vampire Pickles!

A gal at work asked me if I liked pickles. Who doesn't?(see previous pickle posts, hehe)  Anyway she grows cucumbers and had a lot and made pickles with them and wanted to know if I wanted a jar. Hell yeah!
So she brings them to me and they were sweet salty. Loved them Asked her how to make them and she told me. Easy smeazy!
Well, the people that my husband works for have been giving us cukes left and right and I decided to make some. But I changed up the recipe,  of course!! Hers only had salt, and sugar & vinegar in equal amounts.
Here's MY version!  Tangy sweet pickles with a bite!

Vampire Pickles

 Ingredients
  • 5-6 large cucumbers or 10-15 small - sliced
  • 2 fresh jalapenos - sliced
  • 1 tablespoon dried dill
  • salt (I use Mrs. Wages Quick Process Pickle Mix)
  • white sugar
  • white vinegar
 Directions
  1. Slice the cucumbers and place one layer into a non reactive bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Add another layer of cucumbers, sprinkle with salt. Keep doing this until all the cucumbers are in the bowl.
  2. Let sit for about 2 hours.
  3. Pour off the liquid.
  4. Now sprinkle the cucumbers with 3 tablespoons of white sugar. Now add 3 tablespoons white vinegar. Now another 3 tablespoons of sugar and white vinegar. Do this until the cucumbers are almost covered. I cheat and add them by cups instead, if you do that be sure not to add too much. After getting them almost covered, add 3/4 cup of vinegar, but NOT sugar.
  5. Add the sliced jalapenos and dill.
  6. Pour or spoon into glass jars with lids and refrigerate.
  7. They are ready to eat immediately. They get better as they age.                

They are so addicting. I eat them right from the jar. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment