Monday, April 8, 2013

Un-Pho-gettable pho!

Yep, we hit up Saigon Cafe and I ordered pho. They know us there because we've been going in there for years and we tip really good. I had a girlfriend many years ago train me to tip well (20-25%) because that's how they make their money. So Jeff and I tip good, and the restaurant waiters/waitresses remember us. So when I told her we were splitting the pho she had them split it into two bowls! Yeah she was tipped well. ;)  Is it good or well after that. I know it's 'I feel well', but what about tipping?? ha!

Anyway, they had like 7 types of pho so I asked her which one to choose between the 1. rare beef pho, 2. double beef pho, or 3. beef and meatballs. She said the beef and meatballs.
Oh wow, it was delicious! Jeff's first bite gave him an aversion to the spice in it, but he ate all of it and by the time we left I tried to get him to admit it was good. He said mine was better! It wasn't. Mine just had more beef flavor and less spices (perfect to him)  but they were pretty similar and I had never made it or ate it before so I think I did damn good! <patting my own back>

First we ordered their potstickers. There were six but Jeff already snagged his three when I took this pic.. later I gave him another one because I knew I was going to roll out of that place being so full...He was the one that kept reminding me to take pics through the whole meal. Not at all because he was concerned with this blog (he's never read it), but he thinks I'm weird and that's what was probably first and foremost in his head. You're weird and don't forget to take pictures....

 
We've had them many, many times before. So good.
 
Then came the condiments to put on the pho. Cilantro, bean sprouts, hoison sauce, Sriracha sauce, lime, basil, chop sticks and spoons.  The Works!
 
 
I was getting super excited by this time .....that I was there and getting pho after having seen Anthony Bourdain getting some in New Orleans! I was clapping my hands and Jeff kept saying I was weird. BY the way, we were the ONLY customers in the cafe at that time.

 
 
Then the PHO! 
 
 

 
 
This is my bowl after I had added a jalapeno, sprouts, hoison and sriracha sauce. I'm hooked and will get it again. I think I will also try the chicken pho and shrimp pho.
 
This is the Tom Rang Muoi that I love! They leave the shells and heads on and lightly batter the raw shrimp. Then they stir fry it with salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes and onions. It's the bomb! I even eat the shells and heads. Not sure if I'm supposed to do that but the crunch and flavor are amazing. What the hell!

Jeff won't touch this dish. LOL Wimpy Chicken Ass. Yes, I made him try a bite the last time I had it. I guess I shouldn't bitch, at least he eats asian food now. Me so happy!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment