Saturday, April 6, 2013

Pho-getaboutit!

Today I am making Pho.

First time. I've never even ate pho before. LOL There's a vietnamese restaurant that we like that sells pho and I see it ordered a lot. My brother says he's had their pho and he loves it so since I had just about everything on hand I decided to try.

I took some beef bones and cooked them at 425 farenheit for 1 hour. At the same time I put one onion cut in half in the oven too. That roasted for 1 1/2 hours until it was charred.

Right now I have the onion, bones, star anise, one 4 inch cinnamon stick, 4 slices fresh ginger, 4 allspice balls, some fish sauce and salt cooking on the stove in some water. I plan to cook it about 6 hours.....if I can last that long! I have some rice sticks that I will soak in cold water for 1 hour then boil for one minute. I sliced some beef really thinly and since I didn't have cilantro I will use fresh parsley. I also have some fresh sliced leeks and green onions to top it with, along with some Sriracha sauce, lime wedges and hoison sauce.

Here's what it looks like so far. It was hard to get a pic because of the steam rising from it.



So it's quietly simmering away and I can forget about it for another..........4 1/2 hours.  ;)

I'll come back with  more pics and review later.

_________________________________________________________
Still cooking!! It's 7 hours so far and still going strong. Actually I just put the rice threads in water, took the soup off so I can strain it and get some of the fat skimmed off the top......... Jeff said he'd try it! Can you believe it!? He's getting chopped steak (minute steak) cooked on a cast iron skillet. One of his favorite meals. He eats it with raw chopped onions and A1 steak sauce.

Be back later. It's 6:25PM central time.

__________________________________________________________________
My pho was pretty good. Jeff even ate it!! We're going to the flea market tomorrow then to Saigon Cafe for lunch then clothes shopping for me for new orleans. I am going to get some pho and also a dish called Tom Rang Muoi that's freaking to die for!!

http://www.theravenouscouple.com/2009/09/tom-rang-muoi-salt-and-pepper-shrimp.html


Here's my pho:



I also made crab cakes:



I used Lori's Famous Crab Cakes from all recipes....

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/loris-famous-crab-cakes/detail.aspx


It was a successful meal!!





2 comments:

  1. Lori, The Pho looks great- literally beautiful reminding me of my genetic defect that keeps me from liking ANY kind of Vietnamese food. Everybody that knows me assumes I would like it. This is so true that when I disabuse them of that notion, they assume I must have never eaten it in the right place- if I had it in a restaurant I would like it if I had it in someone's home or vice versa.
    A long time friend was a pilot in the South Vietnamese Air Force. I had to muscle lunch in his house past my gag reflex and get enough down to not be rude and it was even worse at the 2 restaurants I tried it in.
    It is the only food type I know of that for me everything about it is wrong- flavor, texture, appearance, smell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand. My husband has the same aversions to certain foods, mainly Indian food. He won't eat it no matter how much I beg. He came to me a meat and potatoes guy and at least now I have him eating chinese and mexican! I kid you not! When we first hooked up my family got together for Christmas at a Mexican restaurant. Jeff ordered a hamburger. LOL!! I respect your Vietnames food aversion. ;)

    ReplyDelete