Friday, February 21, 2014

Hours and miles

I've spent many hours watching our mother cats nurse their babies. Me and my husband have had lots of litters. Something I noticed was that after about 10 minutes of nursing, the kittens' ears (all of them) would bob front and back really fast, then they'd all (the kittens) fall asleep instantly.
I observed that one time a kitten didn't start nursing the same time as the others. It had been sleeping then woke up and started nursing. The other kittens had been sucking for a while. When all their ears started twitching, even the kitten that hadn't been nursing for long, it's ears twitched too, and they all fell asleep. I feel the mother cat's body emitted something in her milk that did this. I've never been able to prove it.
Another thing I noticed was that each kitten had it's own nipple. It wouldn't suck off of another nipple, only it's designated nipple.
One time at the Iowa State Fair we went to the pig barn to see the baby pigs. I was allowed to pick the babies up. There wasn't many people around since it was later in the day. I asked the young man that was watching them if he owned the pigs. Yes, they were their farm pigs. I also asked him if he knew the difference between each baby pig. He did. I asked him if each baby pig only suckled from one specific nipple. He said yes. I think he was somewhat mystified that I would ask that and shocked too. Like how did I know that? I explained to him that our house cats' litters were the same way. I asked him if they all feel asleep at the same time after nursing for a bit and if their ears wiggled. He didn't know, hadn't noticed. I wonder if he went home after that and watched to see if that happened. I hope he did and that I'm not just cray cray.

Here's another melancholy song I've stumbled across.







"Someway, baby, it's part of me, apart from me."
You're laying waste to Halloween
You fucked it friend,
It's on it's head,
It struck the street
You're in Milwaukee, off your feet

... and at once I knew I was not magnificent
Strayed above the highway aisle
(Jagged vacance, thick with ice)
I could see for miles, miles, miles

3rd and Lake it burnt away, the hallway
Was where we learned to celebrate
Automatic bought the years you'd talk for me
That night you played me 'Lip Parade'
Not the needle, nor the thread, the lost decree
Saying nothing, that's enough for me

... and at once I knew I was not magnificent
Hulled far from the highway aisle
(Jagged, vacance, thick with ice)
I could see for miles, miles, miles

Christmas night,
It clutched the light,
The hallow bright
Above my brother,
I and tangled spines
We smoked the screen to make
It what it was to be
Now to know it in my memory:

... and at once I knew I was not magnificent
High above the highway aisle
(Jagged vacance, thick with ice)
I could see for miles, miles, miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment