Friday, December 21, 2012

Blizzard's gone

We made it to work but neither work had power so after 3 hours hubby picked me up and we went shopping!! (He works up the street from me-how convenient! Said like The Church lady)


We went to Sam's Club and nabbed up a bunch of reduced beef. That's the only way to buy beef--reduced! I worked in grocery the first 14 years of my working life. The last 5 I also worked in the meat department. Soooooooo $215.00 later...okay okay I also bought some Pinot Grigio-and I'm not even a wine drinker....but Drew Barrymore makes her own now so I wanted to try some.
We've also been buying the dogs some christmas presents..SSSSHHHHHH...big bags of beef jerky, new harnesses, smoked bones, meatballs and new squeak toys that state they are INVINCIBLE! That's right --they keep squeaking even when punctured.....!! We SO need that! There's only been about 5 out of the hundreds of squeak toys we've bought that have kept squeaking. These are long caterpillars that have 8 squeakers each. So we'll see!
I've been singing to the dawgs for the last couple of weeks, especially Santa Claus is Coming To Town. They love that song and get all excited.
When I sing the part where it says "He knows if you've been bad" I point at Stark. When I sing the part " Or good" I point at Ava. Fricking dawgs love it. LOL !

Yeah, we're weird.

I made homemade enchiladas today. Shredded beef. I even made the enchilada sauce. It's so good! The third time I've made this sauce instead of using the canned sauce.

This is from Mexican Made Easy on the Food Channel:



Ingredients


24 guajillo chiles, stemmed, seeded and deveined
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 medium white onion, peeled
1 vine ripened tomato, boiled 30 seconds, peeled and seeded
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 bay leaf

Directions
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, place 4 cups water, the guajillo chilies, garlic cloves and white onion and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer until the chiles are soft and tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer the boiled vegetables, the tomato and 2 cups of the boiling liquid to a large blender and set aside to cool before blending. Process until smooth. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of black pepper.

In a medium, heavy saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Strain the pureed guajillo salsa into the pan. Add the bay leaf and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper as desired.

Reserve for enchiladas and pork.

Cook's Note: For ease of preparation, you can use 2 store-bought, canned whole tomatoes, seeded, in place of 1 fresh, boiled tomato.


I DID use canned tomatoes this time since tomatoes are out of season here.
This is SO good!
I cooked some beef ribs (no bones) in some water flavored with chicken granules, minced onion, minced garlic, a pinch of cumin and a bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cooked them until they were falling apart easily. I made sure the beef was well seasoned, I didn't want it bland.
Then I cooked some chopped jalapeno pepper, chopped green pepper and chopped onion in some oil until soft, then added some cream cheese and mozzarella. Cooked it until blended. I dipped some tortillas in the enchilada sauce, spread the cream cheese on half of the tortilla, then topped with the meat and rolled them and placed into a casserole dish. Made 5 of those and topped them with the enchilada sauce, baked at 350 for 20 minutes then topped with shredded cheddar cheese and baked another 10 minutes.

I'm in the mood for a blind pick.....


Fire For Thy Stepmother's Daughters

WTF? Another weird named bpal. Light in color. Light yellow.
Floral and lemony in the vial. This ebay seller must not have liked lemon bpals because this is the second one from this box from the same seller. The last one, Santa Eularia Des Riu, that was lemon was freaking awesome.
Not so lemony now that's it's wet on my hand. More fruity. I like it. Fruity bubblegum. Kind of feminine too. Girly. I was kinda expecting smoky, or fiery or dragon's blood, but this is far from any of those. I am getting a citrus but faint. I like this a lot. Big bottle for sure. If I can find one. What's in this?
Flaming coals, hellfire, and blackened bone.

Nope, it's not that at all. Even other reviewers get: This goes on like a fruity floral, almost like lotus. If I sniff up close I can tell there's some fire and coals to the scent, but for whatever reason, my brain translates it into dusky, fruity floral. It's a little spicy, too, which becomes more apparent as it dries. How in the world does that fit this scent, given the notes, you might ask? Well, it works. It's a low and smoldering scent, very subtle but definitely 'there'. I'm sure this will vary from person to person, though (it might be really strong to someone else). But for me, it's subtle. Even though it's very floral, it has the mood of glowing coals.Still, it's mostly a sweet, fruity-floral thing.

I can see how it might dry down into a smoky scent. I am loving this as it dries. It's fruity, sensual and smoky. I have to get a big bottle of this one. This is crazy good. Very unique. Definitely not something you'd find in an over the counter scent, so this would be unique to wear. I'd expect people to ask what I was wearing with this one. Going into my top ten faves for now.






No comments:

Post a Comment