Friday, May 29, 2015

Doctor speak

I have discussed surgery with Lori in some detail. She also discussed surgery with Dr. Chang today. We described a transoral procedure for en bloc resection of the right buccal cancer including the oral commissure. She would have a right neck dissection. I discussed reconstruction with her, specifically a left-sided radial forearm free flap and split thickness skin graft to the arm donor site. We discussed the expected perioperative course, including the possible need for tracheotomy and the need for a nasogastric feeding tube. We discussed risks associated with reconstruction, as well as risks associated with neck dissection including weakness of the marginal mandibular nerve and the accessory nerve. We discussed the risks of trismus that the cavity buccal resection. We also discussed the possible need for scar revision both at the oral commissure as well as to reduce redundancy of the flap. We discussed the possibility of microstomia and medial displacement of the right oral commissure. She understood these issues and wished to proceed.


This is what happened today. ^^^ U of I give their patients access to everything happening to them. I love it!

Soooo, my inside right cheek will be replaced with the tissue and vein from my left forearm. A thin skin graft from one of my thighs will cover the forearm wound. My mouth will get smaller because he doesn't want to do a skin graft on my lip, so my lips will be asymmetrical. I may need plastic surgery down the line not only for my lip, but also the inside of my cheek. I may have loss of sensation in my mouth, lip and neck. I may have nerve damage also. They won't be replacing the muscle in my cheek (Yay) and they plan to take it (the inside of my cheek)  all out in one large chunk. Therefore they can check the margins for cancer. If the margins are clear, no radiation.
So basically I feel better than I did. I'm ready for this. I have a long road ahead of me as long as I make it through the surgery.

I will be in intensive care one night. In the hospital for at least 7 days, and out of work for at least a month. BAH!!
I will be posting videos of myself, when I can.


I will beat this. Because NO ONE...NO ONE messes with a woman in menopause!



No comments:

Post a Comment