Sunday, November 16, 2014

Prime Rib Roast

I just popped a prime rib roast into a 450 degree oven. First I added a generous amount of Lawry's seasoned salt all over the outside (except the ends). After 20 minutes I will reduce the heat to 200 degrees and cook it about 3-4 hours. It's 3 1/2 lbs.

No special occasion, Jeff just saw it at Sam's and decided to buy it. The price wasn't too bad, $9.99 lb.

A chef at Greenbriar restaurant told Jeff how to cook them like this. Jeff used to service their dishwasher. Greenbriar has one of the best prime rib in the Des Moines area. It's a 5 star $$$-$$$$ quality restaurant. Their salads are $10-$13 if that tells you anything. ;)  I've made it this way about 5 times now and it's always been just fantastically good. The amount of seasoning salt is to salt it enough to get a thin layer. Once I over salted and it was too salty. So there's a fine line between salty enough and too salty.

Well, I did what I said I wouldn't do. I brought Sisi in. Yesterday afternoon she was on the front stoop screaming in the snow so I opened the door. Usually she's just been in the driveway when we get home from work, or when we open the back door. So I pulled her in and fed her not one, but TWO cans of catfood! She's a pig! Then when I opened the door to let her back out, she didn't want to go. I tried 4 different times to see if she'd go back out and nope. Jeff said, "She isn't stupid." LOL So she spent the night. No fights yet with the dogs or Mojo, but I'm sure they're coming. She stayed in the living room the first 8 hours. I showed her the litter boxes in the basement and so far she's used them twice. I've named her Gypsy-which works well with Sisi for short. She's already made herself at home. She slept on me most of the night then moved to the top of the couch. Here's a pic  I just took.

She has beautiful gold eyes. I think she was an owl in another life.

She's done some hissing at both dawgs and Moj. She's even smacked both dawgs in the face but they took it in stride. If that doesn't say a lot about my dogs, nothing does. They could kill her in one bite. She seems to know that and so do they. Mojo doesn't like her and she growls at him, but she seems to be taking them all in stride, like they are her. She's a bitch. Girl cats are bitches. But she's soft and gentle too and definitely doesn't need to be an outside cat.  So I think she's ours now. We'll see.
 She tiny too. I know she's full grown because she reacts to catnip. Not sure if she's spayed yet though. Guess we'll see on that too.....

Never thought she'd live this long being outside. Most cats get ran over, so she must have learned to avoid cars. I've seen her across the street many times.

She's very loving and just plops down to sleep anywhere, even in the middle of the living room. She loves being loved on and scratched too. She slept on the bed today while Jeff watched TV in the bedroom. I don't love her yet, but I like her a lot. Will see if she stays with us.



No comments:

Post a Comment