Sunday, August 3, 2014

Iowa The New Age Boring Place

Today I am trying some of Rick Bayless' Honey Chipotle Marinade with garlic and tomatoes on some size 8 shrimp. Gonna marinade the shrimp for a bit then skewer them and cook them on the grill. Once cooked I will chop them into smaller pieces for tacos. Out of the freezer I pulled some homemade refried beans (the best! so much better than canned!) and some Mexican pork chili that I made. It freezes nicely, so do the beans.
The pork chili is thick with tender pork and the way I like to eat it is in a warm tortilla with a salted and peppered over easy fried egg and onions. The egg breaks while I bite into the tortilla and spreads all over the spicy meat, while the onions add that crunchy, fresh, pungent bite. The chili is spicy with red pepper flakes, garlic and tomato sauce. Living in Little Italy/Mexico in Des Moines Iowa has it's benefits. Besides, the houses are affordable to us middle income families. I've lived in 4 places and three of them have all been in the same neighborhood. For 9 months Jeff and I lived in a trailer (now they're called mobile homes but we all know what they really are!! lol) on SW 9th. God that thing was cold in that winter. We had to keep the water trickling in the kitchen and bathroom sinks and shower and pour salt down the toilet to keep the lines from freezing. At one point that winter for about 7 days the only water that worked was the toilet and bathroom sink. We still kept those pipes from bursting, while two other trailers in the lots next to us had to have companies come out and thaw their lines and fix the ones that burst in their walls. That was a bad, bad winter. My 1972 Galaxie 500 which started no matter what the temp wouldn't start. We later figured out that it would have stayed started if we would have realized the keyhole needed turned back counterclockwise after starting. The keyhole was so cold that once the car started, the keyhole was in the forward position and the car thought it was still being started and it would shut the car off. We figured that out after Jeff got into it to start it and showed me the problem. I remember that since it wouldn't start I had to wait on the street for the bus to get to work and every bus that went by wasn't it and it was so cold that my eyes were watering so bad that all my makeup ran off my eyes and I finally called work to tell them I couldn't make it. I was out there for about 30 minutes waiting for the right bus. It was absolutely horrible being out there in that cold. I think it was like 50 below zero wind chill. It was December 1983. I just googled to see what the temp actually was and found this:
The coldest day of 1983 was December 24, with a low temperature of -19°F. For reference, on that day the average low temperature is 17°F and the low temperature drops below -1°F only one day in ten. The coldest month of 1983 was December with an average daily low temperature of 3°F.
Relative to the average, the coldest day was December 24. The low temperature that day was -19°F, compared to the average of 17°F, a difference of 36°F. In relative terms the coldest month was December, with an average low temperature of 3°F, compared to an typical value of 19°F.
The longest cold spell was from December 15 to December 31, constituting 17 consecutive days with cooler than average low temperatures. The month of December had the largest fraction of cooler than average days with 84% days with lower than average low temperatures.
The longest freezing spell was from December 15 to December 31, constituting 17 consecutive days with temperatures strictly below freezing.


http://weatherspark.com/history/30088/1983/Des-Moines-Iowa-United-States



See! It was bad!!! I tell ya, Des Moines is freaking mother effing hot and humid in the summer and downright freeze your balls off cold in the winter. Why the hell our ancestors ever decided to settle here is beyond all comprehension. I can only think that maybe they were sadists. At least we/they are unique. Nice way to look at it, eh? The glass is always half FULL. Always. Unless it's completely full, then it's overflowing!....hehe

Remember my Nemesis post from a couple weeks ago, that not only did I read a book by that name but had a bpal oil named that....well.......a few days later Jeff wanted me to find a specific brand of sunglasses on ebay. He had one pair already and needed another for one of our other cars. He didn't like having to transport those sunglasses from car to car....So he wanted a second pair so he wouldn't have to do that. He basically drives just 2 of the 4 vehicles we have.  He's not too Ebay savvy so I popped onto Ebay and asked him the name.

Yep. You guessed it. Nemesis.   FREAK ME OUT!

I then tried to tell him about the oil and the book but he really could have cared less. ROFL! That's okay I really could care less about looking at Autabuy Magazine and drooling over old cars....

He wants a muscle car. He owned a 1970 Super Bee when he was 18, but some jealous person put sugar down the gas line. He was devastated. We had some of the engine parts for years to that car but I finally made him get rid of them. He's a pack rat, I'm a pack rat so that's a deadly combination in a twofold. We couldn't even get a car into the garage until we bought the Mazda Miata last September. Now at least ONE side is cleared out. LOL The other side has an outdoor table with chairs, lawn mower, snow blower and grill, and a plethora of other stuff that he just throws in there. Ugh.  Truly though, I'd rather have this than an anal retentive man that just bitches all the time about stuff being out of place. I lived with that with my mom and want no part of it. Disorganization is my friend. Unless it's my pantry. Ha!


Gonna do a blind bpal pick...seems like it's been a while and I'm in the mood for scent.


When I open this ammo case of bpals it smells spicy. Lots of spicy florals and resins. Each ammo box I have has it's own characteristics. Some smell foodie, some sweet floral, and some spicy.     
Some still have their plummer's tape around the top from sellers to protect them from opening during shipment to me. I haven't chosen from this box in a while. I will review #33. Back in a second...

November

It was in the first spot in the 5th row. Next to that one with the pink tape around the top.

Light gold in color.
In the vial: Eww. That's what I said when I smelled it. Strong and sharp. Like sunflowers. Only slightly lemony. Mango but not sweet.
On the hand: the same sharpness, this has some green like pine, eucalyptus, pinesol, air freshener, maybe that whale vomit too. It's a bit aquatic. I don't care for the initial scent but as it dries it's getting calmer and more feminine. I bet I like this as long as nothing weird comes out in the drydown. I think I'll like it about 2 hours after being on since the first two hours will smell too strong.

What's in this?

I cannot find any listing for November anywhere. I've googled and googled. Even went to the bpal site and nada. Bah!

It must have been a forum or convergence oil only and not available for the general public. It is a decant. I can tell because it has a homemade label and not an authentic bpal label.

20 minutes: November is fading and fading fast. Not a big bottle winner even if I could find it. Blah.

Right now in Iowa it's corn poop time. Yeah. You know what I mean. Iowa is the number one state for corn. In fact, when we're out of state and we tell people we're from Iowa they automatically assume we live on a farm and grow corn, cows and pigs. We have to explain that....there are CITIES in Iowa! Cities with cars, buildings, and jails. We're not running around in bib overalls. We legalized gay marriage! And marijuana is next! Boo-yah!

So although Iowa is hot, hot, hot and cold, cold, cold, we're pretty open minded to all things, people and opinions. We have great schools, low crime, and friendly people. We also have great food and are rated high for job placements with the insurance and banking industries.
A Great Place To Grow and Fields of Opportunities! But we're pretty boring......


 
and honest...........

No comments:

Post a Comment